Saturday, September 8, 2012

What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?

    
    Since I have moved back to Phoenix I've been hearing radio advertisements for 13th Floor, a local haunted house looking for people to play zombies and monsters for their Halloween season (starting up September 21st).  To make sure that I am fully prepared for the haunted house I have decided to brush up on my scary movies and have been watching them by myself.  Yes I am one of those few people that enjoys watching scary movies by themselves.  This doesn't mean that I don't get super freaked out,  I jump at everything, scream and make sure that none of my appendages are hanging off the side of the bed to get grabbed and pulled under.  My one rule though is that the lights have to be turned off, if they're on it ruins the effect.  I have watched quite a lot of different horror movies.  There are horror movies on demonic possession, ghosts, haunted houses, monsters, mutations, serial killers, the supernatural and slashers.  Slashers would probably be on the bottom of my list, they aren't really scary, it's more just gore and being freaked out by people holding their guts in their hands (yes, I'm calling out Saw as being weak sauce).  My other least favorite type of horror movies are zombie movies, those effect me the most and I just can't handle them, I only got through 28 Days Later by inviting one of my guy friends over to make fun of it while we were watching.
     When I tell people that I like watching horror films they always ask me "What's your favorite scary movie?", it kinda makes me laugh when they say that because they're quoting the killer from my favorite scary movie.  Yes that would be Ghostface from the Scream series and yes I do realize that the movie Scream is a slasher movie and contradicts what I just said about them being at the bottom of my list.  This movie though actually keeps you guessing, it's a scary movie where the characters make choices based on the scary movies they have seen in order to escape Ghostface.  This movie contradicts the rules of scary movies to keep you freaked out, you think that you are safe because you are the exception to the rule but Ghostface pops out of no where and rams his knife in your gut.  The first movie keeps with the rules for the most part, sluts die off pretty fast, boyfriends can't protect you and virgins are safe (until *SPOILER ALERT*, they lose their virginity and seal their fate).  The 2nd movie switches things up a bit when not all the black guys die...well they still have a black guy die first but that is besides the point.

    Outside of the Scream series my favorite scary movies are Halloween (not the whole series, only the first two are acceptable, after that they get ridiculous), Friday the 13th, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, the first Paranormal Activity, Psycho, The Birds, Devil, and Poltergeist.  I guess I enjoy the older scary movies, every Halloween I watch the first Halloween movie (probably my 2nd favorite scary movie).  American Horror Story is an entertaining scary T.V. show that I watch, I even watch International Ghost Hunters from time to time.  Yes I realize that it is a super hokey show but I like hearing the history of the supposedly haunted places.  I've always had a fascination with the "supernatural"; urban legends and ghost stories are absolutely fascinating to me.  When I was younger and we could check out a book from the school library, I for some reason would get a book on Big Foot, ghosts, aliens or the Loch Ness Monster.  Even when my family traveled back to Boston when I was 12, I wanted to go to Salem and see the Salem Witch Museum.  If I ever go to Louisiana I want to do a haunted cemetery/plantation tour.  Now you all probably think I am super weird, I just want to emphasize that I do not believe that these things are real, I just find the histories interesting.
    Before I sign off today, I do want to ask you this question, "What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?" (and why:).  Later!

No comments: